Since picking up a guitar for the first time at the age of 11, Gijs Idema’s love for the instrument has never stopped. After taking an initial interest in pop & rock music, Gijs became interested in jazz and other improvised music, taking a particular liking to players such as Wes Montgomery, and Charlie Parker. It was at this point that Gijs decided to play and compose music for the rest of his life.
For his bachelor's degree, Gijs studied at the Conservatorium van Amsterdam, where he graduated with the highest honors. Shortly after his graduation, he moved to New York City, where he is currently pursuing his master's degree at the Manhattan School of Music, while regularly performing around the city.
Gijs formed his own trio, the Gijs Idema Trio, and won a variety of awards, including the Prinses Christina Jazz Concours (2014), Leidse Jazz Award (2016), and the Expression of Art Award (2017). Since their formation, the Gijs Idema Trio has played at most of the major venues and festivals in the Netherlands, in addition to playing venues in Germany, Belgium, and France. In 2017, the trio released their first album, Squares, which was recorded at Fattoria Musica in Osnabruck.
In addition to the Gijs Idema Trio, Gijs is involved in many other projects, including co-leading or sideman roles in; IKODO, Laura & Strings, Anna Serierse Quartet, NABOU and the Red Light Jazz Society. In the past, he was also part of the National Jeugd Jazz Orkest, in which he toured extensively in the Netherlands, Germany, and the UK.
Gijs' plans for 2019 include recording his next album, which will feature original compositions for his trio, as well as a string quartet.
What They Play
- Neck Material:Mahogany
- Fingerboard Radius:12"
- Neck Profile:Traditional Even "C"
- Nut:Bone 1 3/4"
- 1st Fret String Height:.022"
- 12th Fret String Height:Bass .078" & Treble .062"
- Fretwire:22 Medium Jumbo Jescar 47104
- Scale Length:25"
- Body Style:15" Thinline
- Body Dimensions:15" x 1 3/4"
- Body Top:Solid Maple
- Body Back/Sides:Solid Mahogany
- Truss Rod:Single Acting
- Binding:Body, Neck, Headstock
- Binding Material:Flamed Maple
- Logo:Pearl Headstock
- Inlay:Pearl Dots
- Hardware Color:Nickel
- Bridge:Gotoh Tunomatic
- Tuners:Gotoh SD90
- Knobs:Amber Speed Knobs
- Neck Pickup:Bare Knuckle BC Old Guard Custom Humbucker
- Bridge Pickup:Bare Knuckle BC Old Guard Custom Humbucker
- Pickup Height:3/32" bass side, 3/32" treble side
- Pickup Frame:Black Plastic
- 3 Way Switch:Switchcraft
- Switch Tip:Amber Switchcraft
- Potentiometers:500K AudioTaper
- Output Jack:Switchcraft
- Strings:D’Addario NYXL .010 - .046
- Case:Hardshell Case